Who doesn’t forget their passwords in this world of multiple passwords for multiple social media accounts? This article will help you to learn how to unlock a locked computer without a password.
Unlocking a locked computer isn’t as easy as resetting the password for social media accounts. Hence, many people reset the complete operating system rather than working their way to unlock without the password. But let’s not panic and go through the available methods for Unlocking a locked computer without a password.
1. Using Password Reset Disk
The first and most common method is using the Password Reset Disk. Password Reset Disk allows the user to recover their account in getting locked out of the computer. This software helps you unlock your locked computer without a password infinite times. You would need a USB drive or an SD card for utilizing this method.
Steps to create a Password Reset Disk;
- Click on Start and then Control Panel.
- Click on User Account
- Insert the USB drive or the SD card.
- Click on Create a password reset disk in the left pane.
- Click Next after the Forgotten Password Wizard appears.
- Select the drive in which you want to store your password, and then click Next.
- In the Current User Account Password field, type your current password, and then click Next.
- When the Progress bar reaches 100%, click Next, and then click Finish.
This completes the Password Reset Disk’s successful creation, remove the disk and store it safely in cases of getting locked.
2. By Creating New Account
This is one of the easiest methods if you have the prepared Windows installation disk. In case you don’t own one, go to the official website of Microsoft and download the installation file.
After which, carry out the following steps:
a. Insert the Computer installation disk to boot—Press F2 to open the boot menu.
b. After that, press “Shift + F10” to open the command prompt.
c. Run the following 3 commands in the command prompt window.
move d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak
copy d:windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
d. After that, you will see the “Ease of Access” icon and then click on it to open the command prompt dialogue and run the following commands.
net user /add [username] [password]
net localgroup administrators [username] /add
e. You can now access the new account that you just created, but you need to replace the original utilman.exe file before that. For which you need to follow the command given below. Then, you can restart the computer and log in with the new account.
copy d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
f. After you unlock the locked computer without a password with the new account, you need to open the command prompt window once again to reset the password for the closed store. To accomplish that, you need to enter the following command.
Net user user_name new_pwd (Replace the “user name” with the new user name you want to use and “new-pwd” with the unique password for that account).
3. Using Safe Mode
This method utilizes the administrator account to unlock the locked computer without a password. This is one of the most straightforward procedures to get into the locked account. Follow the simple steps:
- Press F8 as soon as you start the locked computer and hold on it till you see Advanced Boot Options. Choose Safe Mode from the list that appears.
- Log in to the account that is named as Administrator.
- After this, you can either remove or change the password of the locked account.
4. Via Microsoft Account
This procedure will work only if you have a Microsoft account. Follow these simple steps to unlock a locked computer without a password.
- Visit http://live.com/ on any device and click on the “Forgot Password” option.
- Then enter your email ID, mobile number, and recovery email ID.
- Then follow the instruction given by the website to change your password.
5. Restoring to Factory Mode
Before doing so, you can try out windows password recovery tools, and if does not work, turn to this method. Resetting to Factory Mode should be the last option you resort to. This option resets your entire device, and you will lose the stored data within the computer along with the device’s password. This is the easiest and the most dangerous method to unlock a locked computer without a password.
One should carry out this when the device doesn’t contain any critical or sensitive data that you cannot obtain from anywhere else. Try and carry out any of the methods mentioned above before restoring to factory reset.
So the article encompasses some of the foolproof methods to unlock a locked computer without a password. This article aims to uncomplicate the steps to be followed if you are locked out of your device. I hope these effective methods help you in unlocking your computer.