As Ernest Hemingway rightly says, “There is no friend as loyal as a book,” one cannot help but wonder what life would be without books. All of us might not be an avid reader of books, but life without them surely paints a dull picture in our minds, and for some specialists, it is almost as impossible to go about a day without reading a book. Most book lovers go for paper back but, the others who perhaps do not have enough space at their place to store more books or are into reading digital books get subscription of Scribd. But then, when done reading from it, they can cancel Scribd whenever they want. However, as we realize the value of books, we can’t ignore the fact that there has been a major shift in the way books are read in today’s world, which is through E-Books.
In a very generic term, E-Books are books in an electronic format that can be downloaded and read by any electronic device, be it PC, iPad, tablet, laptop, Mac, or smartphone. There has been an abundant transition in the way we read books, as most of us try and look for E-Books to read rather than the traditional way. One of the reasons for such a change to happen and rightfully so is the social awareness that has been created, which is about saving paper, and also the fact that almost everyone has access to smartphones. Through E-Books, one can carry a book without actually carrying a book, and that’s what makes it so handy and convenient.
Now the question we ask ourselves is how do we access, download and read these E-Books. The answer is way simpler than what we think it is.
How to download E-books?
- Just like any other product, you go to an E-Commerce site, select the book you find fascinating, put it in the cart, and purchase that particular book at your own convenience.
- After selecting the E-Book of your choice and eventually wanting to purchase it, one must accept the terms and conditions provided by the publisher, after which you would be redirected to a page where you must confirm your order and finally go ahead with the purchase of the E-Book you have selected.
- When you make the payment, you are redirected to a link, through which you can download the EBook you have purchased and eventually access it.
- Through that link, you can download the book and read it at your own convenience and comfort.
Now you must be wondering, what are the sites through which one can procure these E-Books, and the answer is yet again simple and in abundance. There are a variety of sites available on the internet, and some of them being Amazon Kindle, iBooks, Scribd, Kobo, Playstore, Bookbub, and many more.
Now once you have purchased an EBook, the million-dollar question comes up, which is how do you actually start reading the E-Book you have so fondly bought. The answer is yet again as simple as it gets.
How to start reading?
- The first and foremost thing to do is to select the platform you want to read your beloved ebook on. The platform could be anything ranging from a PC, a laptop, an iPad, a tablet, a Mac, or an ever-so-hand smartphone.
- Let’s just say we choose a laptop as our platform to read the E-Book. The next thing on our to-do list would be to download the E-Book software onto our computer so that it becomes more convenient and easier for us to read the e-book. Now it is essential to decide the program or application from where you want to read the book. It could be anything ranging from Amazon Kindle, iBooks, Scribd, Kobo, Playstore, or Bookbub. One of the most common and popular ways of reading e-books is through Adobe Digital Editions. Through Adobe, one can access and read almost every document and file, which is also applicable to E-Books.
- There are several ways through which we can access and download E-Books. The most popular and well-known way is, of course, the commercial sites, including Amazon Kindle, iBooks, Scribd, Kobo, Playstore or Bookbub, Wattpad, and many more. However, with that being said, purchasing E-Books is not the only way to read them.
- There are various other ways to get a hold of E-Books. One of the most convenient and cheapest ways is by borrowing these books from a public or an educational e-library or look for sites that offer free pdf of the e-books of your interest.
- One of the most underrated ways to keep your collection of E-Books is by downloading an EBook organizer, which will help you go through the clutter and aid you in keeping your collection of E-Books in an ordered manner. Some of these E-Books organizers are Calibre, Alfa EBooks Manager, Delicious Library, and LibraryThing.
E-Books have become part and parcel of our day-to-day life, and it is so hard, if not impossible, to imagine a world without books. Because of the digital advancements, we have taken a major stride in the way we can access and read books. Along with that, having know-how for the same has and will benefit us in the long run because as E-Books are slowly making their way in our present life, that day is not far where they become the future in the way we read books.